The FDA’s MSM (gay) blood ban further perpetuates the stigma that associates gay men with HIV because of the discrepancies in blood donation restrictions. Homosexuality is placed in the same risk group with prostitution and intravenous drug use, yet heterosexuals who engage in unsafe behavior are allowed to donate after a sufficient waiting period. In fact, the Center for Disease Control estimated that at the end of 2007, more than 571,000 people in the United States were living with HIV/AIDS, but only slightly more than half of those cases were a result of male-to-male sexual contact. The fastest growing risk group was heterosexuals.
- Year-long deferral officially adopted. Still not enough. #EndTheBan #DonateDontDiscriminate twitter.com/thehill/status… 2 years ago
- Like us on FB (Red is in the Rainbow) to find out more & stay up to date on our events! #DonateDontDiscriminate https://t.co/5wWzBy3Hl9 2 years ago
- Kali, Rachel and so many others came today and donated on behalf of those who are banned. #DonateDontDiscriminate https://t.co/i3Sh1PcCYg 2 years ago
- Max believes we should all learn to #DonateDontDiscriminate https://t.co/KVrt1ZwqAj 2 years ago
- Brandan knows that a deferral policy is no less discriminatory than the lifetime ban. https://t.co/wsF1wJcyQt 2 years ago